Tokoname Salt Jar
Salt jar made in Tokoname clay for better preservation of salt
It is a salt jar made from the Tokoname kiln with three generations behind, one of the six ancient kilns in Japan, the Yamagen Pottery Garden in Aich Prefecture Japan. The pottery salt jar has excellent water absorption, in order to prevent the salt to harden due to changes in humidity and keeps the salt silky. If the salt is dry, it will be easier to adjust the amount and it is convenient to sprinkle the salt. This seems to be one step closer to becoming a good chef.
Keeping the salt in this jar prevents the salt for solidification
When it comes to storing salt, the correct answer is to seal it and prevent the lost of moisture, the salt will harden when the humidity is not stable. Using the humidity control effect of Tokoname pottery prevents the salt from solidifying. By baking the unglazed coarse soil, the unique water absorption and moisture release properties of the pottery are further enhanced.
Made with easy-to-use design
Since it does not need to be sealed, the shape of the lid is simple and it can be just placed on top, therefor it can be easily opened and closed with one hand. In addition, the shape and weight of the salt are very stable when placed, the size is suitable for women's hands, and the wide opening makes it easily to put a spoon into the jar or even using your fingers, it is a very thoughtful design.
Natural material creates a warmth appearance
The design is simple and natural, so you don’t have to worry about the matching even if you put it on the kitchen or dining table. The colors are "white" and "gray", suits any scene. The texture of the rough soil that is unique to the Tokoname soil is also very attractive, the two colour ways allows you to store diffrent kind of salt and have it identified by the pottery colour.
<Causes of Salt Solidification>
Due to the influence of high humidity, the crystal surface melts and recrystallizes as it dries.
By repeating this process, the crystals are combined and solidified.
Therefore, for smooth storage, it must be prevented from becoming highly humid.
<Types of salt>
1. coarse salt
Rich in minerals such as brine. Compared with refined salt, it is more susceptible to moisture and hardening.
2. table salt
It is formed by removing impurities, thoroughly removing moisture, and crystallizing. Compared with coarse salt, it is smooth and difficult to harden.
※Facts about the Tokoname salt jar
● Because it is unglazed pottery, it inot only absorbs water but also oil. If you are using hand cream and touches the surface, the cream may absorb on the surface. To remove the stain you can boil water containing baking soda in a pot, which can not only wash with hot water, but also remove oil stains. Easier.
● After adding salt to the salt jar, the color of the main body will change. Refined salt, rock salt, etc. have low water content, so the changes are less obvious, but coarse salt such as sun-dried salt and celestial salt is made of residual minerals, so if the minerals have a lot of water, they will change the colour of the pottery. Due to a large amount of inhalation, the color may change due to moisture when viewed from the outside.
This is evidence that the salt tank is desperately adjusted to keep it from damp, and it also proves that it works well.
● Washed the main body, wiped it clean but make sure it dries throughly before you put the salt in it.
As the jar absorbs water well. It will dry in short time, but even if the surface looks dry, moisture may remain in the main body. When cleaning the salt jar, please dry it in a well-ventilated place before using it to avoid residual moisture in the main body.
● If the main body solidifies even if there are no cracks or crevices, as the main body absorbs more and more water, the small holes in the pottery itself will gradually be filled and cannot fully absorb water.
If you feel the effect is diminished, you can restore the effect by washing the main body with boiling water and removing the salt that sticks on the pottery.
Since it is made by hand, there are individual differences in color and shape.
size ｜φ9 × h8.5cm
Made in Aichi prefecture, Japan
*Be sure to wash with cold or lukewarm water.
【while using it】
*Avoid using dishwashers, microwave ovens, ovens, or open flames.
*Please be careful as it is easy for oil to soak in.
*Salt may solidify depending on the storage environment.
* Shake it occasionally to prevent it from clumping.
*Because it is vulnerable to sudden temperature changes, please avoid rapid heating and cooling.
* Please wash with a soft sponge as it may be scratched if rubbed strongly with a detergent containing abrasives or a metal scrubber.
*Ceramics made with coarse soil are particularly absorbent, so please avoid soaking them for a long time.
*To prevent mold, stains, and moisture, wipe with a soft dry cloth after washing, dry well, and store in a well-ventilated place.
* If you use it for a long time, "crystals" may appear on the surface of the salt pot. Since the salt component comes out with the moisture inside, there is no problem in use. Wipe off before use.
*There is a high possibility that the pottery is clogged, so please clean the pottery by soaking or washing.
*Please do not use it for anything other than its intended purpose.
*Be careful not to chip or crack due to strong impact.
*For safety reasons, do not use if cracks or cracks appear.
*Because it is finished by hand, there are individual differences in color and shape.
*Part of the surface may be discolored, but this is due to the characteristics of the soil, so there is no problem with the quality.